IRR/RADB and BGP

Peter E. Fry pfry at swbell.net
Thu Jun 19 23:14:16 UTC 2003

> Vandy Hamidi wrote:
>
> Our new ISP is asking that I create a maintainer object in the RADB
> and associated AS/Routes for us to be about to eBGP peer.
> This is the first time I've been asked by a provider to do this for
> something as simple as peering to advertise a couple /24's.
>
> I've peered with ATT, Sprint, UUnet, Qwest, Savvis, SBC, and Internap
> in the past and never had to do anything but have a valid ASN provided
> by ARIN.

  Hey, wait a minute!  You've peered with SBCIS and not set up an
aut-num and route objects in the RADB?  For shame!  That's our policy,
too.  Get with it!

> Is this just so they can dynamically build their prefix/as-path lists?

  It's to avoid having Sprint mocked by L3.

> Why would I need to do this and what advantages are there.  Cost to
> register with RADB is $250/year and I want to understand it before I
> shell out.

  Use ARIN's IRR or AltDB, then.  But wouldn't it be nice to support the
RADB, and our good friends at Merit?  Heck, you could donate a few grand
-- I'm sure they'd accept it.

Peter E. Fry