IRR/RADB and BGP

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Thu Jun 19 22:46:48 UTC 2003

> Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 15:30:32 -0700
> From: "Vandy Hamidi" <vandy.hamidi at markettools.com>
> Sender: owner-nanog at merit.edu
>
> Our new ISP is asking that I create a maintainer object in the RADB and
> associated AS/Routes for us to be about to eBGP peer.
> This is the first time I've been asked by a provider to do this for
> something as simple as peering to advertise a couple /24's.
>
> I've peered with ATT, Sprint, UUnet, Qwest, Savvis, SBC, and Internap in
> the past and never had to do anything but have a valid ASN provided by
> ARIN.
>
> Is this just so they can dynamically build their prefix/as-path lists?
> Why would I need to do this and what advantages are there.  Cost to
> register with RADB is $250/year and I want to understand it before I
> shell out.

You need to have routes registered in the IRR, but not necessarily the
RADB. The RADB is only a part of the IRR. Many larger ISPs and NSPs
run their own registries and there are several international
registries including APNIC and RIPE. There has been at least one free
database out there. I just don't remember the URL. (It's in the
archives, but the search may be painful.)

I strongly approve of such requirement. I know that it is in the peering
agreements of several carriers, but they often don't check or enforce
this. Many register customer routes and ASes. If routes and policies
were properly registered, securing the Internet would be a lot closer
to being possible.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)