rr style scanning of non-customers

Paul Vixie vixie at vix.com
Sun Jun 15 15:53:31 UTC 2003

warning: there are no IOS configuration commands in this thread. hit D now.

sean at donelan.com (Sean Donelan) writes:

> However, in a country where VCR's still flash 12:00, users are not
> going to read the manual or a web site or anything else.  Despite
> liking to pick on Microsoft, as soon as you get the operating system
> secure, users load all sorts of other applications.  ...

"reading e-mail" should not be the same thing as "loading applications",
and for that matter "loading applications" should not be the same thing
as "install background malware".  i still have to pick on microsoft
because their model (from outlook on up) is insecure *by design* and if
they had not used their monopoly power to blunt the market effects of
java and os/2 and wordperfect and mac/os and who knows what else, then
we would at least have genetic diversity, and we might even have some
kind of qualitative improvement somewhere due to successful mutations.

> And don't forget other things connected to your home network, such using
> good passwords on your router/firewall, networked home entertainment
> centor or snmp-enabled refrigerator.

i agree that the most dangerous part of the car is the nut behind the
steering wheel, and that no technological force will ever change that
fact.  but that's not an excuse to design a car without brakes and then
use monopoly power to put other carmakers out of business.
--
Paul Vixie