IPv6

Eric Gauthier eric at roxanne.org
Thu Jun 12 19:32:12 UTC 2003

> > Nearly every customer of mine has required IPv6 in
> > their RFPs for over a
> > year, but not a single one has turned it on even for
> > testing.

Lets say I have a lab with a few machines and I enable native v6 on
my primary v4 network connection.  The 300kbps that my lab generates
is fine.  What do I do if someone DOS's me with v6 packets and
my router dies taking out both v4 and v6?  The routers we spec
can usually handle v4 traffic at levels on par with the link rates
so its not as big a deal for v4 DOS traffic (link saturation is more
the problem).  When the v6 rate is substantially less than the link's
bandwidth, I get worried that a low-level DOS will take out our entire
network...

Eric :)