IPv6

Jared Mauch jared at puck.Nether.net
Thu Jun 12 17:42:54 UTC 2003

On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 01:14:30PM -0400, Andy Dills wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jun 2003, Jared Mauch wrote:
>
> > 	I honestly see most of the backbone providers offering
> > native IPv4 and IPv6 services in the next few years.  Contact
> > your provider as you can probally get in on any beta service
> > offerings they currently have.
>
> Am I the only one that thinks IPv6 is a minimum of ten years out before
> you see actual non-geek demand?

	What I continuously remind myself is the transformation of the
internet from 10 years ago to now.  When you look at what has happened
in comparison, I wouldn't rule this out at all.  Obviously IPv4 is going
to be the primary for internetworks for some time but I do expect
traffic levels at the IPv6 exchanges to pick up.  Personally, I find
some mirrors I connect to have a IPv6 address where they don't
rate-limit it, so when the next release of RH/FreeBSD come out, it's
quicker to download via IPv6 than IPv4 as there are no contention issues
for gaining access to the ftp server.

	I see people doing IPv6 deployments but not quite as fast as
the IPv4 deployment speed of the past 10 years, but with most sites
enabled in the next 3-5 years at most.

	- Jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net