pool.ntp.org NTP servers

Robert Boyle robert at tellurian.com
Sun Jun 8 03:26:56 UTC 2003

At 03:05 AM 6/8/2003 +0000, Paul Vixie wrote:
>what you're looking for in terms of an ntp server is "best isochrony".
>as long as the delay and loss constant it doesn't matter how high they
>are.  a secondary sort term would be server load, but presumably a
>server which was too loaded could just stop answering new clients.
>
>time, like netnews, should roughly follow router topology.  get time from
>your isp and let them get it from GPS/GOES or their peers/transits/whatever.

We run NTP client and server on all of our customer touching and core
routers and we just tell them to make their WAN gateway their NTP server.
This works well for us and we need to have correct and synchronized time on
all of our routers for logging and debugging purposes anyway. The processor
penalty seems to be very minimal (if anything) to respond to NTP requests
and seems to make sense to further the load distribution as much as
possible. Do others do this? does anyone see a reason it shouldn't be done
this way? It just seemed to make sense to me.

-Robert

http://www.tellurian.com | 888-TELLURIAN | 973-300-9211
"Good will, like a good name, is got by many actions, and lost by one." -
Francis Jeffrey