Bugbear.b (worm du jour)

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Jun 6 20:08:54 UTC 2003

On Thu, 05 Jun 2003 18:47:45 PDT, Eric Anderson <anderson at cs.uoregon.edu>  said:
> Is this showing up as an issue for anyone?  All I'm looking at is an MSNBC
> story which gives me the impression that it's a pretty low-bandwidth deal.  I
> sounds like it requires intervention by the end user (or a system reboot) to
> activate it, so the propagation rate ought to be very low.

Never underestimate the collective user's ability to say 'oooh, SHINY' and
click on it anyhow.

The sad part is that enough people clicked on it that it's making the news at
all.  The truly pathetic part is that every provider is going to have at least
one user who calls in and asks "Why am I getting all these 'user unknown'
messages from friends who changed their addresses a long time ago?"