Fast TCP?

Marshall Eubanks tme at multicasttech.com
Thu Jun 5 03:20:25 UTC 2003

Glad this came up as I have been reading this paper -

Does Figure 1 in
> http://netlab.caltech.edu/pub/papers/fast-030401.pdf

seem reasonable ? Will 100 RED TCP flows really only fill 90% of a 155
Mbps pipe but  87% of a 2.4 Gbps connection
and 75% of a 4.8 Gbps connection ? This seems strangely non-linear to
me.

A more fundamental question is, is this really useful except in the
case of very high bandwidth single flows (such as
e-VLBI or  particle physics or uncompressed HDTV).
After all, isn't the current standard practice not to come close to
fully utilizing backbone bandwidth ?

                                  Regards
                                  Marshall Eubanks

On Wednesday, June 4, 2003, at 10:40 PM, Allan Liska wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Jun 2003, Mike Leber wrote:
>

>> Does anybody know any more about Fast TCP:
>>
>> http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=581&ncid=581&e=6&u=/
>> nm/20030604/tc_nm/technology_internet_dc_3
>>
>> Is it real?
>>
>> It it open source?
>>
>> Are there any implementations available?
>>

> Here's the white paper detailing it:
>
> http://netlab.caltech.edu/pub/papers/fast-030401.pdf
>
> Here is their home page:
>
> http://netlab.caltech.edu/FAST
>
> It doesn't look like they have production code available at this point,
> but it looks like it could be interesting.
>

> allan
> --
> Allan Liska
> allan at allan.org
> http://www.allan.org

T.M. Eubanks
e-mail : tme at multicasttech.com
http://www.multicasttech.com

Test your network for multicast :
http://www.multicasttech.com/mt/
Our New Video Service is in Beta testing
http://www.americafree.tv