Pesky spammers are using my mailbox

Dominic J. Eidson sauron at the-infinite.org
Tue Jun 3 19:13:58 UTC 2003

On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, Jack Bates wrote:

> Dominic J. Eidson wrote:
> > I'm having a feeling that someone harvested a bunch of adresses, possibly
> > from NANOG, and is using them as the sender address in pretend-to-be KLEZ
> > spams.. I have received several bounces lately, several of them appearing
> > to be KLEZ, all with me as the original sender - and yet, there's no
> > chance I was ever infected with KLEZ (No windows boxes here...)
> >

> The nature of KLEZ is that it spoofs the sender address. Anyone infected
> with KLEZ or one of the variants and on NANOG will likely send out klez
> spoofing as NANOG posters.

I am quite aware of how KLEZ works - the sudden proliferation of NANOG-ers
who reported that they've gotten KLEZ-ish bounces due to spoofed sender
adrresses, seemed a little too coincidential.

On the flip side, maybe there's still entirely too many people running
vulnerable email readers...</irony>

 - d.

--
Dominic J. Eidson