About the address allocation convention between ISPs

David Barak thegameiam at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 3 13:34:08 UTC 2003

Many larger networks (with multiple interconnections
will split the chore, where the numbering reflects
exactly who is responsible for the physical circuit.

So alas, there is no one "right" answer to your
question, unless you're going to try to put together a
table based on the naming conventions...

for instance, probably hop "6" is the actual interface
between 7018 and 209 in NY according to this view.

  5 gar4-p300.n54ny.ip.att.net (12.123.3.2) [AS 7018]
4 msec 4 msec 4 msec
  6 att-gw.ny.qwest.net (192.205.32.170) [AS 7018] 4
msec 4 msec 4 msec
  7 jfk-core-03.inet.qwest.net (205.171.230.26) [AS
209] 4 msec 4 msec 4 msec

-David Barak

--- Teng Fei <tfei at ipanema.ecs.umass.edu> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I have a question about the convention of address
> allocation between ISPs.
> If a smaller ISP tries to establish connection with
> its provider, does
> this small ISP configure one of the interface on its
> boarder router using
> an IP address obtained from the provider, or it is
> the other way around,
> that is, the provider uses one of the IP address
> belongs to the customer
> to configure the provider's boarder router?
>
> I have this question because I am trying to identify
> the link between two
> organizations from traceroute measurements.   How
> the addresses are
> allocated will affect the identification of the
> inter-domain link by
> exactly one hop.
>
> I am not sure if there is such a convention at all,
> or the address
> assignment is randomly decided according to the
> agreement between the
> customer and the provider?
>
> Since I know there are many seasoned network
> professionals on this mailing
> list, I think it might be a proper question to ask
> here.  Would anyone
> kindly be willing to share your experience?  Thank
> you very much!
>
> Sincerely
>
> Teng

=====