About the address allocation convention between ISPs

Darin Wayrynen darin at deru.net
Tue Jun 3 06:50:01 UTC 2003

Hi Teng,

>From my experience it is standard practice for the provider of the
Internet connectivity to provide the /30 network IP addresses for
connectivity between two networks.

There are exceptions such as when using unnumbered interfaces, peering
points that share a common subnet between multiple ISPs, and when two
networks flip a coin on private peering interconnects (where generally
neither side is the provider to the other) to determine who is going
to provide the interface IPs.

Darin