Non-GPS derived timing sources (was Re: NTp sources that work in a datacenter)

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Mon Jun 2 11:02:39 UTC 2003

In a message written on Sun, Jun 01, 2003 at 11:57:21PM -0400, Sean Donelan wrote:
> Actually my question wasn't so much about other national standards labs,
> but that almost every major Internet backbone worldwide seems to trace
> their time source to GPS.  Maybe not that surprising for US/North American
> providers, but even non-american backbones seem to use GPS.

Could it be that providers actually have multiple sources, but for
some reason GPS is always picked as the primary source for the
public facing function?  At least a few providers keep their actual
sources (the receivers themselves) "hidden", and provide a unix box
syncing to all of them as the front end.  From my limited knowledge,
that front end box will only show the one source it has picked as
"best".