NTp sources that work in a datacenter (was Re: Is latency equivalent

Peter Lothberg roll at stupi.se
Sun Jun 1 06:01:17 UTC 2003

The receiver do not need to be in the datacenter, there is this thing
called "the internet" that you can hook it up to.

> > >in every PoP to do measurements. In that case, the difficulty isn't in
> > >measuring one-way latency, it's in synchronizing the time on all the
> > >servers. And with fairly cheap GPS and CDMA clocks that is a lot
> > >easier/cheaper than it once was.
>
> 	a robust mesh of strat-2 chimers gives one more resilence
> 	and more accuracy than syncing off a single source.
>
> > But what GPS clock can you install in a datacenter? AFAIK, they all
> > require roof (or at least window) access in order to install the
> > antenna. (At least, all the GPS based ntp servers I've looked at do).
> > Is that not true of CDMA servers?
>
> 	some GPS, some PPS, and an atomic source here and there
> 	give great diversity and only a few need roof access.
>
> > How have others solved this issue? (Short of owning their datacenters.)
>
> 	Use NTP, run most systems as strat-2

Time2.Stupi.SE and Time4.Stupi.SE are both stratum-1 accessable through
the Internet, tracable to UTC-SP (part of TAI) without use of GPS or slaving
to CDMA (that slaves to GPS).

-P