WANTED: ISPs with DDoS defense solutions

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Wed Jul 30 18:43:16 UTC 2003

At 10:58 AM 30/07/2003 -0400, Jared Mauch wrote:

>         If someone abuses the PSTN, or other networks they eventually
>will get their service terminated.  If people abuse their access by
>launching DoS attacks, we need to catch them and get their access

Gee, wouldnt that be nice.  Having personally dealt with one that had ~ 500
hosts involved on several dozen networks, I can confirm that of all the
repeated pleas for help to said networks to track down the controlling
party, I had a grand total of ONE (yes, 1 as in one above zero) who
actually responded with a response beyond the auto-responders.... And that
was to let me know that the user in question had already formatted their
hard drive before the admin could see what was on the machine and who might
have been controlling the machine.

It took several _weeks_ for all the attacking hosts to be killed off with
several reminder messages to various networks.  So I dont hold much
optimism for actually tracking down the actual attacker.

         ---Mike