North America not interested in IP V6

Jared Mauch jared at puck.Nether.net
Wed Jul 30 18:22:41 UTC 2003

On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 10:21:03AM -0700, Jeremy T. Bouse wrote:

> 	At work we implimented 12.2(T) on our IPv6 routers and there were some
> problems, can't recall specifics now, that meant we did do several IOS
> upgrades to try and fix. Now we have just finished upgrading to 12.3 on
> all our routers network-wide and only have the IPv6 functions turned on
> for those routers we have IPv6 traffic going through...
>
> > Well, now we are talking about IPv6, I can ask a question right here ;)
> >
> > Does anyone have any experiences with the Cisco IPv6 IOS (T or S
> > releases)? Can be either good or bad experiences. I heard there were some
> > issues (router freezes etc) with the T releases...
> >
> > Have to convince the management :)

	I've had very good luck with 12.2(14)S3 on the 7200
devices.

	I can't currently recommend any software for the 7500
if you have a CT3 interface in your router (as most of the
ones I manage do) that supports IPv6.

	The next Cisco release of 12.2S (it will likely be
called 12.2(18)S should have all the important IPv6 features
that would be necessary for a larger scale deployment (eg: OSPFv3)
of IPv6 services.

	If you're a customer of AS2914 and interested in
IPv6, you should send us a note ipv6 at eng.verio.net, and we can
get things configured fairly quickly.

	I am seeing at peak 1Mb+ on some of our IPv6 locations
(mostly outside the US) but the trend does appear to be upwards.

	I know that other providers (Sprint, Hurricane Electric [i keep
getting those yellow postcards at home], to name a few) have IPv6
services currently available to customers.  It seems fairly
easy to get a /48 allocation, so if you think you might go IPv6
in the next few years, it's worthwhile to set up a spare 26xx/36xx
at least to tunnel the traffic with.

	(I have also had good results with 12.3(1a) releases).

	- Jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net