North America not interested in IP V6

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed Jul 30 07:11:02 UTC 2003

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Peter Galbavy wrote:

> Regardless of the content of the above, let me say that with the exception
> of "the academic community" (including those in commercial orgs) no one in
> Europe is interested either.

I think it's a question of price to create the service.

Newer plattforms have built in IPv6 in hardware so performance isn't an
issue, the code base is maturing which is also a very important step
forward.

In a couple of years it won't be so much an issue of "purchasing equipment
that can do IPv6" but more "turning it on" which is a huge difference when
it comes to creating a service and deploying it. When IPv6 is in almost
all newer IOSes and these get phased into production environments, I think
we'll see much more IPv6 than today.

I know that I am not alone in considering IPv6 ability of hardware I am
about to purchase that I believe will be around for 3-5 years.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se