Hollywood plot: Attack critical infrastructure while President is in town

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Tue Jul 29 00:21:43 UTC 2003

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, Eric Anderson wrote:
> When has the president NOT been within 30 miles of something related
> to the petroleum industry?  <cough>  Seriously, though, I can't see
> any reason why wouldn't get close to them from time to time; it's not
> as though pipelines explode with 30-mile blast radii.  At least, not
> often.

But the President's movements creates its own vulnerabilities for the rest
of the critical infrastructures nearby.  If you know the President will be
in the area (the FAA posts advance notice to airman), you also now know
that all ariel surveillance of pipelines, fiber routes, and other
critical infrastructures in 30 miles will be grounded.  What better time
to roll out the backhoes and plant your devices for later use.

Then the President gets to explain why Pipeline Co couldn't stop the
terrorists blowing up a major pipeline because their surveillance
planes were grounded by the Secret Service/FAA.