a new labor intensive layer 1 solution (humor?)

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Mon Jul 28 16:59:44 UTC 2003

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, Christopher L. Morrow wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, Eric Kuhnke wrote:
> > Backhoes, natch...  All you need is a camo uniform, M-16, and spool for rapid network deployment:
> >
> > http://www.army-technology.com/contractors/navigation/brugg/brugg5.html
>
> I believe thats an FN-FAL rifle, not a M-16... I wonder if telcom's could
> employ these folks to watch over their fiber lines to keep the backhoes
> away?

Just be careful about flying too close to the US Presidential motercade.
A pipeline spotter aircraft pilot (i.e. backhoe spotter for pipelines) was
intercepted by the US Air Force and questioned for several hours by the
Secret Service when his regular air route over pipelines flew within 30
miles of the presidential limo.

Why the president was within 30 miles of a pipeline has not been answered
by the White House.