User negligence?

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sun Jul 27 08:47:53 UTC 2003

I don't think the average user has a smart card reader at home.

Everyone has accepted a very simple two-factor authentication system
for bank usage for a long time.  Factor 1 is possession of the card.
This is relatively easy to forge.  Factor 2 is the PIN.  This is no
stronger than a password.

Most banks use smart cards for authenticating employees, with a password
required to access the smart card.  This is not practical (at least today)
for home banking over the internet.  Last I looked, the cost of the
cards and the readers exceeded what would be reasonable for the bank
to provide to all their customers.  I don't think most home users understand
enough about security to think the smart card system would be worth the
price.

The real negligence in this case is the software company that released a
MUA that makes trojans so convenient to distribute.  As someone else
stated earlier in this thread...

OUTLOOK: THe Exploding PINTO on the Information Superhighway.

This is _SO_ true.

Owen

--On Sunday, July 27, 2003 10:03 +0200 Kandra Nygårds <kandra at foxette.net>