OT: Re: User negligence?

Len Rose len at netsys.com
Sun Jul 27 04:56:28 UTC 2003

Sean,

I humbly disagree. It is not user negligence, but rather neglgence on
behalf of the entity's systems team, or perhaps the entity's failure
to support their own systems team by hiring competent staff instead
of relying on people who play office politik or look nice in a suit
and tie. User's are not expected to be secure their machines, or
even barely know more than how to use a handful of applications.
In the bank's case hopefully they are supposed to be financial experts.

One can also  blame the entity for basing their operations on a joke
operating system of course (tired argument).

Not calling it a breach of security is simply.. ridiculous. It is a
most flagrant breach of security if they can't even secure their own
internal networks and systems. Host level security should be the
easiest thing to accomplish given competent systems staff.

The entity should have had a team in place that protected systems,
disabled vulnerable services running on the joke operating system,
and that stayed on top of any threat no matter what day of the week
it happened to be.

Nothing like berating the obvious.

This is off topic and I'm not going to pursue this further on
this list.

Len