Cisco vulnerability and dangerous filtering techniques

Chris Lewis clewis at nortelnetworks.com
Tue Jul 22 15:44:55 UTC 2003

Austad, Jay wrote:
> I was thinking about this the other day.  The most efficient way to make
> this work would be to spread using some vulnerability (like the Microsoft
> DCOM vulnerability released last week), and then at a predetermined time,
> start DoS'ing routers in the IP space of major providers, and then work your
> way towards the "edges."  You can pretty much safely assume that most of
> your infected machines are going to basically be on the edges of the
> internet, so if you start with major providers, you won't kill all of your
> connectivity.  Even more destructive would be p2p built into it, so all of
> the infected hosts could coordinate before the attack on what networks each
> one would handle.

Imagine generalizing that to phases - build a virus that uses several
different modes of propagation to different platforms - virulent, but
not too violent (ie: not like SQL slammer), then phase it to DOS various
services, including the routers.

You might come in one morning to find your entire network infested with
a multi-phasic virus which has destroyed whatever it could, DDOS'd
everything it couldn't, and big chunks of your network are dead.  On
multiple platforms simultaneously.

You're in a mode where everything has to be unplugged, and scrubbed
before reconnecting.

Ugh.

SQL slammer was inadvertently almost there.  We're not an SQL shop, but
a few machines here and there had it enabled for one reason or another.
The propagation flood itself was so violent it took out non-Windows
services.