Potential downside to using (very) old domain as spam trap.

Chris Lewis clewis at nortelnetworks.com
Tue Jul 22 15:30:26 UTC 2003

Paul Vixie wrote:

> therefore before you use whole-domain spamtrapping, i recommend looking VERY
> carefully at the flows so that you can be sure that "i" isn't adjacent to
> "o" on the qwerty keyboard, or some other such problem.

Agreed.  But I'll mention a situation where it's very valuable and show
some of the pitfalls found thru intimate experience with doing it.

We decommissioned some of our domains about 3 years ago, as we
transitioned to our current one.

At the time that these domains were decommissioned (de-MX'd), we were
catching and tossing 60,000-70,000 spams per day.

18 months later, as an experiment, I re-enabled the domains.

First day: 600,000 spams per day.  In the months since then it has grown
to 2.5 million per day.  We use this as a spamtrap.

The immediate temptation is to directly feed blacklists of some sort.

But:

1) A significant fraction (varies from 5-30%) is NDRs from innocent
sites for spam forged with return addresses in our spamtrap.

[If <user at domain> is being spammed, chances are that it's being forged
in spam too.]

2) A significant fraction is virus/worm attacks from people with very
old addresses in their address books.

3) A significant fraction is email from otherwise legitimate sites who
have a spam problem (so at least you have to ratio traffic levels
between spamtrap and non-spamtrap).  Case in point: MSN's DAV servers
while they were scriptable (the ratios were absurdly bad (like 5000:1),
we did end up blacklisting the DAV sites on-and-off over the past 3
months or so).

4) There is a growing fraction that turn out to be RCPT TO verifications
from sendmail configurations (of spam forged with spamtrap domain
names).  I think this is dangerous (tripping harvesting detectors for
example), but, it's a fairly effective heuristic in its own right.

5) There are a significant fraction of "autoresponders" responding to
forged spam.

While much of this is detectable and you can remove it from the
analysis, you generally need to apply additional heuristics beyond just
the spamtrap.

We try to filter out bounces/viri, compute ratios of bad:good and look
for verifications via other third party blacklists that we're unwilling
or unable to use directly.  It's also fodder for additional analysis
that detects open relays, proxies and trojaned boxes.