Infrastructure Filtering (was Re: Patching for Cisco vulnerability)

Jared Mauch jared at puck.Nether.net
Fri Jul 18 21:24:47 UTC 2003

On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 04:20:37PM -0400, Charles Sprickman wrote:

> This has me wondering if there are any BCPs that touch on the whole idea
> of filtering traffic destined to your router, or what the advisory called
> "infrastructure filtering".  All in all, it seems like a good idea to
> block any direct access to router interfaces.  But as some have probably
> found already, it's a big pain in the arse.
>
> If I recall correctly, Rob's Secure IOS Template touches on filtering
> known services (the BGP listener, snmp), but what are people's feelings on
> maintaining filters on all interfaces *after* loading a fixed IOS?

	It shouldn't be done.  transit internet providers should not
be the edges firewalls.  The edge?  They can filter what they
want, but you should not filter things for people that they
don't know is being filtered.  I can see a few clear cases where this
is acceptable, and ms-sql was one of them.

	Something that might be of interest and of possible value for
something like this in the future would be this:
draft-marques-idr-flow-spec-00.txt

	Take a look at it.  It would allow access-list/firewall-filters
to be able to be deployed across your network in the matter of
a few minutes instead of having to login to every router.  Plus
you could count the packets too via snmp.  (well, assuming that works
right ;-) )

	- Jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net