Backbone Infrastructure and Secrecy

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Wed Jul 9 21:13:10 UTC 2003

Thus spake "Brian Vincent (C)" <VincentB at coppercolorado.com>
> What's interesting is the US approached a similar problem once
> before - redundancy and survivability in the event of a nuclear
> war.  I imagine there's some lessons to be learned there.  Granted,
> they were less concerned about folks running around with boltcutters..

Totally different mindset...  If someone nuked the Bell facility in NYC,
odds are nobody would care local phone service didn't work because they'd
all be dead -- the requirement was only that Boston would still be able to
talk to DC.  Even so, 50s-era Bell tandem switching facilities are usually
located 2-5mi away from "downtown" because they expected that to be outside
the blast radius of Russian (er, Soviet) bombs.