Backbone Infrastructure and Secrecy

Eric Kuhnke eric at fnordsystems.com
Tue Jul 8 16:43:08 UTC 2003

Barn door, horse is already gone.

I'm willing to stipulate that Sean may be a GIS wizard, and has compiled a very accurate listing of north american fiber routes.  However, this is nothing new...

US Transatlantic cable landings (mirrored from John Young's cryptome.org):
http://colofinder.net/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album90

US Transpacific cables:
http://colofinder.net/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album89

I doubt there are armed guards with body armor and AR-15s patrolling the beach in front of Oregon's cable blockhouses.  I may be wrong.  Photos, anybody?

I'm sure you could sell the Australian government's equivalent of the NIPC or "Cyber Security Czar" on reasons why their nation is vulnerable to public fiber location knowledge.  What would happen if Southern Cross and two or three high capacity cables to Singapore were cut simultaneously?

Are we going to throw a burlap sack over 60 Hudson, the Westin Building, One Wilshire, or similar buildings and disavow knowledge of their existence?  You can't hide major infrastructure.  With the exception of Afghanistan and a few other areas, full color 1 meter resolution satellite imagery is commercially available for any locations between 70N and 70S latitude.  (IKONOS, SPIN-2, etc).

I am curious exactly how accurate Sean's maps are.  Are his fiber routes listed in surveyor quality DGPS measurements, or is it more of a "Somewhere along the shoulder of I-94" type accuracy?