[Backbone Infrastructure and Secrecy]

Joshua Sahala joshua.ej.smith at usa.net
Tue Jul 8 15:41:43 UTC 2003

i think that that is the point of the article - mr gorman is 'the one' ;)
he mapped something that those who put it together hoped was unmappable.
now it seems that they are blaming their incompetance on his skills.
could his work be used to better our 'critical'  infrastructure? sure.
could it be used to render it useless?  probably.  will it be used to
fix things?  doubtful.
if the ministry of homeland secrecy sucedes in getting it classified,
it will sit in a locked buliding somewhere, while another enterprising
individual or group uses the same tools that mr gorman used...but whom
will they be showing it to?

/joshua

Adam Kujawski <adamkuj at amplex.net> wrote:

> NANOG's Sean Gorman is in the news:
>
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A23689-2003Jul7.html
>
> I would find GIS like the one described *very* usefull in finding transport

> providers. If I could see who has what where, I would know who to go to for

> quotes. As it stands, most of this information is hard to get ahold of.
>
> Who, besides Sean, has maps like this? The state PUC? If so, is that
> information available to the public? Do you have to go thorugh a background

> check and/or sign an NDA? Or is it only the providers themselves that have
the
> maps for this stuff?
>
> -Adam

"Walk with me through the Universe,
 And along the way see how all of us are Connected.
 Feast the eyes of your Soul,
 On the Love that abounds.
 In all places at once, seemingly endless,
 Like your own existence."
     - Stephen Hawking -