National Do Not Call Registry has opened

Steven M. Bellovin smb at research.att.com
Wed Jul 2 21:44:12 UTC 2003

In message <000401c340e0$aab42310$19ee0b0a at force10networks.com>, "Stephen Sprun
k" writes:

>Thus spake "Tomas Daniska" <tomas at tronet.com>
>> A: No. Placing your number on the National Do Not Call Registry will stop
>most, but not all, telemarketing calls. Some businesses are exempt from the
>national registry and still can call you even if you place your number on
>it. Exempt businesses include:
>>
>> long-distance phone companies
>> airlines
>> banks and credit unions; and
>> the business of insurance, to the extent that it is regulated by state
>law.
>> ... political organizations, charities, telephone surveyors or ...
>
>Nearly every call I get today is by companies on the 'exempt' list, go
>figure.

Oh, it might get worse -- here's the first paragraph of a Wall Street
Journal story:

	NEW YORK -- With millions of people signing up to stop
	receiving pesky sales calls, the nation's biggest marketers
	are preparing a new round of potentially annoying advertising
	pitches via e-mail and direct mail.

Oh, joy -- more spam instead of telemarketers.