National Do Not Call Registry has opened

Joe Abley jabley at isc.org
Tue Jul 1 02:12:02 UTC 2003

On Monday, Jun 30, 2003, at 19:16 Canada/Eastern, Callahan, Richard M,
SOLGV wrote:

> The FCC has, as of Thursday the 26th, adopted all aspects of the FTC
> DNCR.  Now all
>> long-distance phone companies
>> airlines
>> banks and credit unions; and
>> the business of insurance,
>
> are fully covered and enforceable.  count one for the good guys!!

Of course, it does nothing for people outside the US who get
cold-called by US-based telemarketers. It's almost understandable how
that could happen if you live in Canada, since Canadian numbers live in
the North American number plan, but I used to get called by people
trying to sell investment advice and long-distance calling plans while
I lived in Auckland.

It was occasionally amusing to keep them on the phone for about half an
hour, and then say "of course, you realise this is an international
call, there's no way I can buy what you're selling, and in fact this is
costing you vast sums of money". Until I realised that they thought
"international" meant out-of-state, and that they thought New Zealand
was a town in Southern California.

Joe