mSQL Attack/Peering/OBGP/Optical exchange

Vijay Gill vgill at vijaygill.com
Fri Jan 31 06:54:19 UTC 2003

David Diaz <techlist at smoton.net> writes:

> was to "pay" for what you used when you used it.  The biggest
> technical factor was "how the heck do you bill it."

Actually I'd think the biggest technical factor would be the trained
monkey that would sit at the switch and do OIR of line cards on the
router as appropriate and reroute patches.

> If a customer goes from their normal OC3 ---> OC12 for 4hrs three
> times in a month... what do you bill them for?  Do you take it down to
> the DS0/min level and just multiple or do you do a flat rate or a per
> upgrade???

Does this include the monkey cost as the monkey switches the ports
around? (well, technically you can get software switchable oc3/oc12
ports, but substitute for 48/192 and go from there)

> The point was you could bump up on the fly as needed, capacity
> willing, then down.  The obvious factor is having enough spare
> capacity in the bucket.  This should not be an issue within the 4

And the monkey. I really don't have enough capital sitting around to
leave a spare port idle for the 4 hours a day I need it.

> This sort of addressed the "how do i design my backbone"
> argument. Where engineers ahve to decide whether to built for peak
> load and provide max QoS but also the highest cost backbone; or
> whether to built for avg sustained utilization.  This way you can
> theoretically get the best of both worlds.  As long as the billing
> goes along with that.

I don't plan to be buying service from anyone who is building to
average sustained utilization (sic).  My traffic tends to be bursty.

/vijay