mSQL Attack/Peering/OBGP/Optical exchange

David Diaz techlist at smoton.net
Fri Jan 31 04:01:53 UTC 2003

Actually, I think that was the point of the dynamic provisioning
ability.  The UNI 1.0 protocol or the previous ODSI, were to allow
the routers to provision their own capacity.  The tests in the real
world done actually worked although I still believe they are under
NDA.

The point was to provision or reprovision capacity as needed.
Without getting into the arguments of whether this is a good idea,
the point was to "pay" for what you used when you used it.  The
biggest technical factor was "how the heck do you bill it."

If a customer goes from their normal OC3 ---> OC12 for 4hrs three
times in a month... what do you bill them for?  Do you take it down
to the DS0/min level and just multiple or do you do a flat rate or a
per upgrade???

The point was you could bump up on the fly as needed, capacity
willing, then down.  The obvious factor is having enough spare
capacity in the bucket.  This should not be an issue within the 4
walls of a colo.  If it's a beyond the 4 walls play then there should
be spare capacity available that normally serves as redundancy in the
mesh.

The other interesting factor is that now you have sort of aTDMA
arrangement going on( very loose analogy here).  In that your day can
theoretically be divided into 3 time zones.

In the zone:
8am - 4pm  ----- Business users, Financial backbones etc
4pm -12am ----- Home users, DSL, Cable, Peer to Peer
12am - 8am ---- Remote backup services, forgein users etc

Some of the same capacity can be reused based on peer needs.

This sort of addressed the "how do i design my backbone" argument.
Where engineers ahve to decide whether to built for peak load and
provide max QoS but also the highest cost backbone; or whether to
built for avg sustained utilization.  This way you can theoretically
get the best of both worlds.  As long as the billing goes along with
that.

You are right this is a future play.  But though it was interesting
from the perspective of what if all this technology was enabled
today, what affect would the mSQL worm have had.  Would some of these
technologies have exacerbated the problems we saw.  Trying to get
better feedback on the future issues, so far some of the offline
comments and perspectives have been helpful and inciteful as well as
yours...

Dave

--

David Diaz