Routing preferences question

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Thu Jan 30 10:24:32 UTC 2003

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003 william at elan.net wrote:

> Does anybody know how/if I can force cisco router to consider ospf route
> (I'll consider other igp protocol if its possible) from particular source
> to be prefereble over connected and locally-entered static routes. This is
> needed for failover project I'm doing. Please note that especially big
> question is with "connected" route through subinterface, which I can't
> find any way to override with igp, for static I could at least make them
> learned igp routes.

Static is simple: just enter an administrative distance (extra argument
at the end) that is higher than OSPF's. Connected has a fixed distance,
as far as I know. But you can get around this by simply putting more
specifics in your IGP. For instance, if the interface has a /24, you let
the router elsewehere announce the two /25s that make up this /24.