Bell Labs or Microsoft security?

Florian Weimer Weimer at CERT.Uni-Stuttgart.DE
Wed Jan 29 22:18:51 UTC 2003

Richard A Steenbergen <ras at e-gerbil.net> writes:

> I said exploits, not ways to get outside your proper address space and
> crash the OS. Any sufficiently powerful language presents an opportunity
> to do bad things to an ill prepared OS, but the answer isn't to make the
> language less powerful.

The Burroughs B6700 had trusted compilers.

> Perhaps if we banned C and assembly, and made everyone use perl, we'd be
> safe. :)

The Perl parser itself (written in C ;) seems to have some issues (in
__DIE__ handlers). 8-(

--
Florian Weimer 	                  Weimer at CERT.Uni-Stuttgart.DE
University of Stuttgart           http://CERT.Uni-Stuttgart.DE/people/fw/