routing between provider edge and CPE routers

E.B. Dreger eddy+public+spam at noc.everquick.net
Wed Jan 29 20:15:41 UTC 2003

MB> Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 12:51:08 -0600
MB> From: Mike Bernico

[ snipped and reformatted throughout ]

MB> We currently use an IGP to route between our distribution
MB> routers and the CPE routers we manage.

I hope I'm misreading.  If you're, say, running OSPF between
your edge routers and CPE routers...

MB> This is causing some problems with stability in that edge
MB> IGP.

...I'd imagine so.

Routes within one administrative domain that are preferred over
BGP routes.  Yikes.  Roguecasting of GTLDs comes to mind as but
one way to do evil deeds.

MB> Does any other service provider use an IGP all the way to the
MB> customer for non BGP customers or are we the only one?  I
MB> have a feeling we maybe are.

Anything that depends on proper configuration of customer gear
is inherently evil and dangerous.  Of course, nobody ever creates
an ethernet loop, redistributes the wrong prefixes, binds the
wrong IP address, or anything like that, right?

Hopefully I misread.  Sharing your IGP with customers is very,
very bad.  Dynamic routes also need to be filtered at untrusted
boundaries.

Eddy
--
Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - EverQuick Internet Division
Phone: +1 (785) 865-5885 Lawrence and [inter]national