OT: Banc of America Article

Al Rowland alan_r1 at corp.earthlink.net
Wed Jan 29 18:35:37 UTC 2003

Just for grins,

The PIN is on your card, likely encrypted, this based on the fact that
most ATMs will reject your card at the initial PIN prompt before you try
to execute any transaction, as is likely your balance and daily
withdrawal limit but the Kwik-E-Mart system might not have a way to see
that you've already withdrawn your daily limit from three other ATMs
etc. I use a not-my-bank ATM in the lobby at work and it doesn't
initiate the call (you can hear the modem dial) until you're beyond the
PIN screen and are actually requesting a transaction. My daily limit at
my home bank is significantly higher than my daily limit at
non-home-bank ATMs so that might be a local feature rather than hard
coded to your card. (or readable by the particular machine you're using,
who knows what your bank considers privacy or proprietary information.)

Just conjecture, no way to know how this specifically works without
looking at the BoA specific ATM code but I'd be willing to bet the code
errs on the side of customer convenience over absolute security. See
most software as examples.

Best regards,
Al Rowland