.org whois

Joe Abley jabley at isc.org
Wed Jan 29 18:36:45 UTC 2003

On Wednesday, Jan 29, 2003, at 12:53 Canada/Eastern, Tim Yocum wrote:

> on the 31st of December, 02, VeriSign was no longer the registry
> operator for .org.
>
> The new registrar is called "Public Interest Registry"
>
> One can only speculate why the whois servers have vanished,

whois.crsnic.net was the old whois server which reported data from the
verisign thin registry for ORG. It still provides information for COM
and NET, since those zones are still run by Verisign Registry.

whois.publicinterestregistry.net is the whois server being run by the
PIR, who are running the new ORG registry. The output format of the PIR
whois service is possibly slightly confusing; the PIR's plan is to
transition ORG from a thin registry to a thick registry, and right now
the whois server is showing responses which look like thick registry

(if you knew this, and by "vanished" you meant something else, then
apologies).

The response formatting looks weird to me: "Registrant Street1:Whois
Server:whois.networksolutions.com"? What? Maybe beauty is in the eye of
the beholder.

wrt data inaccuracies, the ISC's administrative addresses are not in
Canada, and I guess the available.org people are having fun with all
the spam from whois-harvesting spambots. Perhaps "NOT ACCURATE" should
be substituted for "NOT AUTHORITATIVE".

Joe