Banc of America Article

alex at yuriev.com alex at yuriev.com
Wed Jan 29 17:46:47 UTC 2003

> IIRC, the ATM system is similar to CC transactions. A best effort is
> made to authorize against your account (Credit Card or Banking) but if
> it fails and the transaction is within a normal range (your daily card
> limit) the CC/ATM completes the transaction.

	Too bad it is not the case, but lets presume that it is. How does it
explain branches not being able to process direct withdrawals either?

	The incident on hand illustrates that the design of our financial
networks is broken. If a non sophisticated worm managed to create so many
problems, what is going to happen should a real attack be mounted against
the networks used by financial services?

Alex