Banc of America Article

Al Rowland alan_r1 at corp.earthlink.net
Wed Jan 29 15:20:35 UTC 2003

Or,

IIRC, the ATM system is similar to CC transactions. A best effort is
made to authorize against your account (Credit Card or Banking) but if
it fails and the transaction is within a normal range (your daily card
limit) the CC/ATM completes the transaction. I'd be willing to bet the
failure rate Saturday was high enough to cause concern that bank
customers (knowingly or innocently) could bypass the normal limits and
overdraw or otherwise negatively effect their accounts. So BoA decided
to shut down the system until the failure rate returned to 'normal.' Not
a bad thing, IMHO.

Best regards,
Al Rowland