Aggregate traffic management

Serge Maskalik serge at netvmg.com
Wed Jan 29 07:46:03 UTC 2003

   Stanislav,

  It depends what control mechanism you are using:

   o routes learned via an IGP - ECMP would work and if it's a single
     destination host, per-packet loadbalancing between the outgoing
     links is your only practical choice; rest of ECMP schemes work
     by distributing flows or routes amongst links

   o learned via BGP and the traffic consists of a variety of flows
     that all use the same reachability information (BGP route); you
     could de-aggregate the announcement locally if you have an idea
     how the per-flow volume maps into the route; BGP Multipath feature
     set exists in most router implementations, but the distribution
     methods are statistically different

  For the latter, several systems exist in the market place that try
  to automate TE for BGP-learned routes, one of which is ours. These
  system require a closed feedback loop for traffic volume per flow
  and link mappings; this needs to occur close to real time to be
  effective.

  	- Serge

Thus spake Stanislav Rost (stanrost at lcs.mit.edu):