What could have been done differently?

Scott Francis darkuncle at darkuncle.net
Wed Jan 29 01:46:51 UTC 2003

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 07:10:52PM -0500, ekgermann at cctec.com said:
[snip]
> As has been said, no one writes perfect software.  And again, sometime, the
> user has to share some responsibility.  Maybe if the users get burned
> enough, the problem will get solved.  Either they will get fired, the
> software will change to another platform, or they'll install the patches.
> People only change behaviors through pain, either mental or physical.

There's a difference between having the occasional bug in one's software
(Apache, OpenSSH) and having a track record of remotely exploitable
vulnerabilities in virtually EVERY revision of EVERY product one ships, on
the client-side, the server side and in the OS itself. Microsoft does not
care about security, regardless of what their latest marketing ploy may be.
If they did, they would not be releasing the same exact bugs in their
software year after year after year.

</rant>
--
-= Scott Francis || darkuncle (at) darkuncle (dot) net =-
  GPG key CB33CCA7 has been revoked; I am now 5537F527