Aggregate traffic management

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Tue Jan 28 23:04:38 UTC 2003

It can be done several ways, but  the question is "how are you
differentiating"?

This is an incomplete list of methods for differentiating, each of
which is supported by one or more vendors or open-source solutions:

  - destination address
    - specific prefix matching
    - prefix length matching (.../23, /24, etc.)
    - destination AS #
    - destination AS path length
    - destination (fill in the blank for other BGP or IGP specific tricks)
  - source address (see "destination address" for list of possible
match criteria)
  - protocol (UDP, TCP, ICMP)
  - port (source or destination)
  - ToS bits
  - URL for port 80 traffic
  - MAC address of source machine
  - amount of throughput to a particular source/destination path

There are even some methods that don't differentiate, but do random
traffic distribution (for some highly imperfect value of "random",
which I won't debate here.)

  - round-robin gateway specification
  - DNS round-robin (limited use, usually for servers producing traffic)

If you could be more specific on what your distinguishing method
would be for choosing one path over the other, some specific examples
could be distilled from this group, I'm sure.  <sarcasm> Though, of
course, we here in North America don't have to worry ourselves about
these issues, and we route everything through our most congested
peer. </sarcasm>

Is this simply to get a survey of all possible routing decision
concepts, or are you looking for answers only at one layer of the OSI
model?  You do say "router" in your description, but I'm still
uncertain if that is a limiting factor in your question.

JT