Is it time to block all Microsoft protocols in the core?

Barney Wolff barney at pit.databus.com
Tue Jan 28 22:22:10 UTC 2003

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 03:50:34AM +0545, Joe Abley wrote:

> On Wednesday, Jan 29, 2003, at 01:25 Asia/Katmandu, Joe Abley wrote:
>
> >On FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD and Darwin/Mac OS X (the only xterms I
> >happen to have open right now) this is not the case, and has not been
> >for some time. I presume, perhaps na?vely, that other operating
> >systems have done something similar.
>
> This is not right. Guess I was typing "man" in the wrong xterms.
>
> FreeBSD (4.x, 5.x) listens to the network by default (and can be
> persuaded not to with a "-s" flag). NetBSD (1.6) does the same.

You were right the first time, at least for FreeBSD.  The "-s" flag
is applied by default - see /etc/defaults/rc.conf .  Not quite as
idiot-proof as a compiled-in default, but way better than defaulting
to listening.

--
Barney Wolff         http://www.databus.com/bwresume.pdf
I'm available by contract or FT, in the NYC metro area or via the 'Net.