Level3 routing issues?

David G. Andersen dga at lcs.mit.edu
Tue Jan 28 00:04:46 UTC 2003

On Sun, Jan 26, 2003 at 12:17:20AM -0500, Tim Griffin mooed:

> hc wrote:
> > I am on Verizon-GNI via Qwest and Genuity and seeing the same problem as
> > well.
>
> here's a plot showing the impact on BGP routing tables from seven ISPs
> (plotted using route-views data):
> http://www.research.att.com/~griffin/bgp_monitor/sql_worm.html

And as an interesting counterpoint to this, this graph shows
the number of BGP routing updates received at MIT before, during,
and after the worm (3 day window).  Tim's plots showed that the
number of actual routes at the routers he watched was down
significantly - these plots show that the actual BGP traffic
was up quite a bit.  Probably the withdrawals that were taking
routes away from routeviews...

http://nms.lcs.mit.edu/~dga/sqlworm.html

  -Dave

work: dga at lcs.mit.edu                          me:  dga at pobox.com
      MIT Laboratory for Computer Science           http://www.angio.net/
      I do not accept unsolicited commercial email.  Do not spam me.