Level3 routing issues?

Simon Lockhart simonl at rd.bbc.co.uk
Mon Jan 27 20:10:15 UTC 2003

On Mon Jan 27, 2003 at 03:03:09PM -0500, alex at yuriev.com wrote:
> > Alex, although technically correct, its not practical.  How many end users
> > vpn in from home from say a public ip on their dsl modem leaving
> > themselves open to attack but now also having this connection back to the
> > "Secure" inside network.  Has anyone heard of any confirmed cases of this
> > yet?
> So then they are using a wrong tool. Using a wrong security tool tends to
> bite one in the <censored>.

So what's the right tool? Yes, dial or dsl directly into corporate network
is my preferred option, but doesn't fit the corporate plan for the future.

> Yes, I have seen attacks mounted via VPNs. Work like charm.

As I suspected, but I keep being told that these problems were in old style
VPN clients, and stuff is much better these days. I remain unconvinced.

Simon
--
Simon Lockhart             |   Tel: +44 (0)1628 407720  (BBC ext 37720)
Technology Manager         |   Fax: +44 (0)1628 407701  (BBC ext 37701)
BBC Internet Services      | Email: Simon.Lockhart at bbc.co.uk
BBC Technology, Maiden House, Vanwall Road, Maidenhead. SL6 4UB. UK