Is it time to block all Microsoft protocols in the core?

E.B. Dreger eddy+public+spam at noc.everquick.net
Mon Jan 27 19:31:29 UTC 2003

AY> Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 14:16:40 -0500 (EST)
AY> From: alex at ... (Alex Yuriev)

AY> [I]t is a job of your customer to decide if they want to filter
AY> some ports from their network or if they want to contract you
AY> to do that for them.

A job that many are incapable of performing.

One must contact one's upstreams to enable BGP; the consequences
of freely-available, unfiltered BGP would be catastrophic.  Most
people simply don't need BGP.  Those who claim to need it are
required to follow rules set by their upstreams and the rest of
the Internet community.

Packet filtering at the edge would be far from a panacea, and in
many ways would be a very bad thing, but perhaps it's time to re-
evaluate the "need" for every network to have complete end-to-end
connectivity.  Some dialup providers and cable networks already
offer less than EtE.

Eddy
--
Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - EverQuick Internet Division
Phone: +1 (785) 865-5885 Lawrence and [inter]national