g.root-servers.net - U.S. DoD Network Information Center

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Sun Jan 26 19:11:26 UTC 2003

From: "Stephen J. Wilcox"

> > My personal opinion, though it doesn't account for much, is that they
were
> > testing out the new ways one can serve DNS from a MS-SQL database. Then
> > again, they could just be smart and be paranoid. If I had a private
network
> > where security was required to be high, I'd have pulled the plug until
the
> > storm was over. Why take chances?
>
> eh?
>
> You are host to one of the Internet's root DNS servers and you pull the
plug
> when things go a bit hairy on you.
>
> Even for a hosting company I'd not be happy if I was a customer and they
> shutdown the whole of their Internet access because of some problem like
this!

Depends on the nature of that network. If it was just root DNS servers, I
would agree with you. However, unless they are feeding those servers with
MS-SQL databases, one might guess that there was something more to it.
Honestly, I doubt the DoD will let anyone know why. :)  This is another BoA
situation. Lack of information.

Jack Bates
BrightNet Oklahoma