Level3 routing issues?

Dave Stewart dbs at dbscom.com
Sat Jan 25 23:43:56 UTC 2003

At 05:10 PM 1/25/2003, you wrote:

>We have had multiple customers who had SP3 on their boxes that were
>hit.  SP3 was _supposed_ to include this patch, there is no
>verification so far that it did.
>
>Since all the providers have been blocking the attack spread from the
>routers, installing SP3 on boxes post-attack hasn't really been put to
>the test yet.
>
>YMMV

Not extensive testing, no... but again...

SQL Server 2000 SP3 is not the same animal as Windows 2000 SP3.

And after installing SQL Server 2000 SP3, I opened up the router to allow
all the 1434 traffic that came in... the box was hit on numerous occasions
over the next hour or so, and never did it get infected again.

SQL Server 2000 SP3 was just released on 1/17/2003... while the patch for
this vulnerability has been out since last July (and yes, I'm guilty of not
following it closely enough myself... no excuses)