Level3 routing issues?

Avleen Vig lists-nanog at silverwraith.com
Sat Jan 25 23:14:01 UTC 2003

On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 10:02:54PM +0000, Christopher L. Morrow wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Jan 2003, Avleen Vig wrote:
> >
> > The market we are in was specifically bred by Microsoft in the 90's when
> > they claimed Windows was so eay to use, anyone could admin it.
> > They've since changed their tune, but the damage has been done and
> > continues to be done like last night :(
>
> I would agree somewhat with Avleen here... BUT, like I said, its long past
> the time when every internet connected org really should reevaluate their
> security force's size and abilities :) security is 'important' and we
> really SHOULD get that across to EVERYONE... or atleast that's my thought
> :)

You've highlightest my sentiments well :-)
The past is no excuse for running a poor shop now.
there have been multiple incidents over the last 3 years alone that
should wake people up to the problems with their sysadmin and security
staff's lack of skill be people seem not to care at all.

It's ironic to note that most companies who 'dont care', do so because
they don't want to pay the slightly higher buck for good staff or decent
training (hard to find). While at the same time it is these companies
that struggle to float while the ones spending the money get staff who
really care about their work and thus impress the customers more.

(this is of course just one point of view and not the only reasons
companies float/sink).