Level3 routing issues?

K. Scott Bethke kbethke at thruport.com
Sat Jan 25 17:47:33 UTC 2003

BIll,
----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Woodcock" <woody at pch.net>
> I'd agree with it.  Except the herds of losers who still buy exploding
> crap from Vendor M don't seem to be thinning themselves out quickly

dude, the Exploding Cars are so much easier to drive than the ones from
Vendor L.  (tic)

> enough.  Maybe they're sexually attractive to each other, and reproduce
> before their stupidity kills them.  That would be unfortunate.  Or maybe
> it's just that none of this computer stuff actually matters, so exploding
> crap isn't actually fatal.  Maybe that's it.

I think it sucks that they are exploding on MY highway.

With that in mind is it time yet to talk about solutions to problems like
this from the network point of view?  Sure its easy to put up access list's
when needed but I have 100megs available to me on egress and I was trying to
push 450megs.  Is there anything protocol, vendor specific or otherwise that
will not allow rogue machines to at will take up 100% of available
resources?  I know extreme networks has the concept of Max Port utilization
on thier switches, will this help?  Suggestions?

-Scotty