Level3 routing issues?

Avleen Vig lists-nanog at silverwraith.com
Sat Jan 25 18:01:19 UTC 2003

On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 08:56:06AM -0800, Bill Woodcock wrote:

>     > > Dunno, arent they negligent?
>     > > In any other industry a fundemental flaw would be met with lawsuits, in the
>     > > computer world tho people seem to get around for some reason.
>     >
>     > Not true, look at cars and recalls. Also as I understand it MS
>     > issued a fix for this sometime ago - it the users who didn't implement it!
>
> Uh, lemme see if I get your argument.  People who buy exploding cars from
> Vendor M are at fault when the cars explode, since cars from Vendor M
> always explode, and Vendor M always disclaims responsibility, since
> someone usually points out in advance that the cars will explode?

That's not what he said.
To follow on from your analogy it should go:
Car manufacturer finds that under condition X a car explodes. Car vendor
has a mailing list that people who buy the car can sign up to. Car
vendor offers to fix this for free and notifies the mailing list.

Now it's up to the consumer NOT the vendor. If the consumer says "I
don't give a shit about things like this", how can you possibly hold the
manufacturer at fault for it not getting fixed?