New worm / port 1434?

Mike Leber mleber at he.net
Sat Jan 25 08:12:37 UTC 2003

We are seeing this too.

We are seeing the gige interfaces on multiple customer aggregation
switches at multiple locations add several hundred Mbps each.  All the
traffic is destined for udp port 1434 with a randomized source address. We
are doing "ip verify unicast source reachable-via any" which stops most of
the random addresses.  We've temporarily had to block udp port 1434.

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003, Avleen Vig wrote:

> It seems we have a new worm hitting Microsoft SQL server servers on port
> 1434.

| Mike Leber           Direct Internet Connections   Voice 510 580 4100 |
| Hurricane Electric     Web Hosting  Colocation       Fax 510 580 4151 |
| mleber at he.net                                       http://www.he.net |